It's about to get really hot in Texas. Like, really hot. Our social calendars here in the Lone Star State will soon be limited to the following activities:
- Seek cold water
- Bathe in cold water
- Drink cold water
- Drink Lone Star
- Open Facebook relationships with Air Conditioners.
And I'd like to add one to the list. Listen to music about MORE HOT THINGS! This week's BitchTapes is one big missile, heat-seeking a groove. DON'T FORGET TO HYDRATE. (Thanks for the recommendations, if you sent 'em my way this week!)
1. "It's Always Summer" by the Corin Tucker Band From the first bent note, through Tucker's famously emotive voice, to the last echoing twang, this song is all windows down and hot, dusty wind blowing.
2. "The Height of Summer" by The Knife This song sounds like what the air above concrete on a scorching-hot day looks like. Undulating, surreal, maybe the result of heat stroke...
3. "Fire" by the Pointer Sisters Originally a Bruce Springsteen song, but you have the Pointer Sisters sing anything and it's pretty much going to be a perfect summer record that sounds like it was made for them. Ooooh, fiii-iiyah...
4. "Burning Hell" by John Lee Hooker This was recommended to me by a native Texan, who said simply, "This sounds and feels like Texas in the summer." She's absolutely right. Hooker's voice oozes heat. The sweat is audible. Harmonicas may or may not have been invented to play outside a corner store on a hot day, in a tiny slice of shade.
5. "Music is My Hot Hot Sex" by CSS So quotable. So danceable. So hilarious in a weirdly sexy way, or sexy in a weirdly hilarious way...
6. "Burning Down the House" by Talking Heads I LOVE! SONGS! WITH! EXCLAMATION! POINTS! AFTER! EVERY! LINE!
7. "Too Darn Hot" by Ella Fitzgerald In which The First Lady of Song is clam-jammed by rising temperatures. We sympathize.
8. "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash Written by June, sung by Johnny. Here's hoping the burn was purely metaphorical.
9. "Hot Summer Night" by Grace Potter & The Nocturnals For those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, here's a song to make you feel like it's a hot summer night, even though it's the middle of the winter, man, it's really bad weather.
10. "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six I keep listening to this song whenever there's an electrical storm in Austin (which has been almost nonstop this week), hoping that the power will go out dramatically right in the middle. No luck so far, but the summer looms large...
11. "Love Shack" by the B-52s I am never NOT going to put this song on a mix about heat or the summer. TIIIIIIN ROOF! (RUSTED.)
(image courtesy of kutnews.org)