This week's mixtape comes to us from Tel Aviv radio broadcaster Nitzan Pincu, who hosts a radio show dedicated to feminist and queer artists. Nitzan put together this mix of queer artists from around the Middle East.
Nitzan writes: "Finding Middle Eastern queer music is not an easy task. From imprisonment to persecution, there are many risks for those who promote tolerance and diversity. This mixtape’s voices call for a change: for acceptance (“Jeat Lahi ” is about coming out to a disapproving family) and for celebrations of homosexual love. This music shatters taboos fearlessly, and I believe those voices are only getting stronger."
- Poliana Frank - Dykes and the Holy War
- Noar Shulaim - Anog (Tender)
- Rimon Haddad feat. Maisa Daw - Ana Hora Bhali
- Rola Azzar - Bahebk
- Korin Elal feat. Inbal Perelmuter - Ksheze Amok (When It’s Deep)
- Googoosh - Behesht (Heaven)
- Joan Safadi - Jeat Lahli
- Mashrou' Leila - Shim El Yasmine (Smell the Jasmine)
*special thanks to Yvonne Saba for her contribution to this mix.