While snow is coming down all over the country, spring is poking its head out of the rain clouds in Portland, and I find that nothing suits the tease of spring better than cutesy female harmonizing. This mix features women from the 1920s to the 2010s bringing in the spring with vocal precision and fun tunes.
1. The Living Sisters - How Are You? Their debut album is due soon! Features Inara George of The Bird and the Bee.
2. The Cookies - Chains I heard this song for the first time in the underwear section of Macy's and haven't looked back since.
3. The Boswell Sisters - Hand Me Down My Walkin' Cane These ladies are incredible!
4. The Be Good Tanyas - The Littlest Birds One of my favorite songs (even though Jolie Holland's not in the band anymore)
5. Ella Fitzgerald and the Ink Spots - Paper Moon This features the Ink Spots, a male vocal group of the thirties, who did a couple collaborations with Ella.
6. The Andrew Sisters - Beer Barrel Polka The Andrews Sisters sing about beer and are sponsored by cigarettes!
7. The Ditty Bops - Sister Kate Madeleine Peyroux sings this song too but it just doesn't have the same sparkle
8. The Bobettes - Mr. Lee One, two, three (huh!)