Please spread this far and wide! Cheers!
Best known for publishing the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, B-Word is a 12-year old nonprofit, independent, grassroots publishing organization; our mission is to critique pop culture/media from a feminist perspective (bitchmagazine.org). We're excited to announce the newly-created position of a .5 (20 hours/week) Operations Director who will oversee daily operations at our office in Northeast Portland, OR.
* Office management: Daily mail distribution; answering phones; assisting with mailings; maintaining equipment service contracts and agreements; primary vendor liaison; employee benefits coordinator; manage communications (e.g., telephone and internet service); facilities liaison; purchasing (e.g., office supplies, furniture, and equipment) and inventory tracking; general errands.
* Coordination and development of volunteer program: Scheduling and coordinating local volunteers and assisting with efforts to build national connections.
* Board/committee/program support: Coordinate meeting/events/travel logistics (room rental, food purchasing, airline ticket purchasing, carpooling); gather materials and prepare packets for Board and Executive Committee meetings; assist Development staff with program-related and fundraising needs (e.g., mailings, attend meetings when needed, etc.); assist and support Publisher and other staff directors as needed.
* Computer/technical maintenance: Maintain and update technological capacity of offices; troubleshoot technical/equipment problems; computer backups.
* Database management: Maintain donor database; entry of donation and pledge information; generate thank you letters, receipts, and mailing lists; pledge reminders; preparation of acknowledgments listings for annual report; assist with maintenance of grants database.
* Financial recordkeeping: Process bank deposits; maintain income journal; code/issue checks; serve as liaison with contract bookkeeper; assist with development of the annual budget; assist with Audit and 990 preparation; maintain Financial Policies and Procedures, in accordance with Finance committee. Attend monthly Finance committee meetings.
* Extremely detail-oriented, excellent organizational skills, and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
* Strong work ethic and a deep commitment to feminism as social justice/movement-building work
* Passion for grassroots media/criticism/justice
* Strong initiative, drive, and self-direction, ability to work independently, meet deadlines
* Strong skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, and database management
* Basic understanding of financial concepts
* Two years experience in the nonprofit sector
Salary and Benefits:
* $13/hour, salary, non-exempt, paid medical/dental/vision for employee
Closing date for applications: May 2nd
Start date: June 2nd
Please email detailed cover letter, resume and three references no later than May 2, 2008 to: [email protected]
No phone calls, faxes, or drop-ins, please.
Or mail to: B-Word, Amy S. Williams, 4930 NE 29th Ave, Portland, OR 97211
* As an effort to live out our values of community-mindedness, grassroots organizing, and systemic social change, we encourage all qualified and passionate individuals to apply, particularly people of color, young folks, queer-identified folks, people from low-income and working-class backgrounds, and others whose voices and experiences are traditionally marginalized in feminist/media/justice work. In an effort to be accountable to our newly adopted community, we also encourage long-time Northeast Portland community members to apply. We deeply regret that our office is not currently wheelchair-accessible.